Monday, May 31, 2010

Clinicals....

Upon walking in the front door of the clinic the first day, I was immediately struck by the vast differences in this clinic versus the clinics and things I had experienced in clinicals back home. I walked in the entry way of the clinic to find people sitting in rows of pews. They sat there patiently and quietly in a room with no air conditioning. We then were introduced to the nurses of the clinic. They wear similar white scrubs but they still wear the caps. I quickly observed that the nurses essentially run the clinic. There are a couple doctors but the nurses take initiative and are independent. The clinic offers various services. There is a room for pediatrics, vaccinations, dental work, and for gynecological exams. All these services are offered in single rooms off the main waiting room. My first day of clinicals I worked in pediatrics. I loved this experience. I weighed, measured, and gave the babies shots. I was surprised that the mothers were so trusting and not once questioned my ability, even as an obvious foreigner. I have performed a papsmear and given school-aged kids vaccines. The clinic has meager resources, yet they offer so much to the community. They have an emphasis on teaching and health promotion. The nurses display empathy and patience. They spend time answering questions and caring for their patients. I am so impressed with the patient nurse relationship. The patients seem to have so much trust in the nurses. This is something I am not accostumed to back in Florida. They are making such a difference and I am having fun taking part!

No comments:

Post a Comment