Monday, June 21, 2010

BABIES! :D

Within the second week of clinicals I finally got to experience the pediatric department at monagrillo! As much as i love children an babies and all that fun stuff, I was actually quite nervous and anxious to go over there, suddenly I realized i wasn't going to just hold kids an play with them; I had to use very sharp and dangerous objects around them, my measurements and observations had to be 100% accurate in order to track very important developmental markers, and I had to hurt them with needles. These things made me very nervous indeed.
I quickly got over them, because that's just what you have to do. I double checked my weights and measurements until i was confident that I was accurate...and then still had them double checked! lol
But all the stressors of trying to be accurate and do well was ALL worth it the second I got to hold a little 4 month old. She was the most PRECIOUS baby (just like all the others ;) and I fell in love, nothing went wrong that day let me tell you!
We put her on the baby scale, then measured her, and then she was due for some vaccines and the polio drops. I watched my nurse access her hips and other limbs and then access her reflexes. She also was re-educating her mom about breast feeding and giving her little reminders.
All the babies and young kids that came in that day were just amazing, and every other time I got to be in there was just heart warming ,except of course when we had to give shots, and then my heart went out to them. I became incredibly comfortable with giving shots to infants and children and will ALWAYS remember to aspirate and remember the importance of aspirating just from this trip alone!
What a GREAT experience the clinicals were and I would do it ALL again in a heart beat! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment