Saturday, June 5, 2010

Mi Nueva Familia!

As with every upcoming new experience, I didn't really know what to expect from being placed in a home with complete strangers whom I had no prior knowledge about, other than the fact that they were somehow associated with the University of Panama. I never had the experience of going to sleep-away camp and this is my first time studying abroad, so all of this was new to me. I definitely thought about the many negative possibilities/outcomes and was just hoping and keeping my fingers crossed for the complete opposite to occur. I took into consideration and was apprehensive about many things including communication barriers, total change in living conditions, safety, lack of available resources (supermarket, phone, internet, etc.), and general comfort. Fortunately, much of my anxiety was quickly put to rest when I met Edy and Raoul (my Panamanian adoptive Mama y Papa).


We arrived in Chitre on Wednesday, May 26th, to the Universidad de Panama, to be warmly welcomed by several staff members and introduced to and picked up by our home stay parents. Caitlin, Melissa, and I were greeted by Mama Edy and Papa Raoul. They were waiting, and waving miniature Panamanian flags, which they handed to each of us. They were so welcoming, friendly, and quick to accomodate us. I could tell right away that they were both more than delighted to meet us and have us stay with them in their home. They took us "home" to drop off our luggage and went with us to the supermarket to make sure we would be situated with food that we wanted for the next couple of days. We had a wonderful time getting to know each other the first night! Our new family "clicked" so well right away, including Edy, Raoul, Caitlin, Melissa, Dukay (taco bell commercial Chihuahua look-alike), Shalon (Dukay's older brother), and of course myself.


I am so grateful for my home stay family and truly enjoy their presence in my Panamanian experience for many reasons. For example, "Papa" gave us a cell phone to use in order to readily get in contact with him. He calls to check whether mi hermanas and I are safe and sound, and have a ride home after our clinical/school day is over. They allow us to have our friends/classmates over at any time. They gave us a key to their home! We always have the most interesting conversations; enjoy learning how to communicate in order to always be on the same page, and are constantly teaching one another each others' language. "Mama" and "Papa" are extremely patient people. Especially "Papa"; not only is he patient but a very brave man, because he has never had a daughter before and all of a sudden he went from living with one woman to living with four! When they came back from going out of town for the weekend, they brought beautiful souvenirs for each of us which even more so shows their genuine generosity! They are just amazing people, always wanting to help in any way that they can. Whether it is laundry, class assignments/presentations, fixing the internet, or preparing meals with us, they are more than happy to be there! Here are some pictures that show some of what I've mentioned above! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment