Monday, June 21, 2010

PAP Smears!

The very first clinical day came with no expectations, we were given a tour of the clinic in Monagrillo and i was amazed at the compactness of the facility. Having pediatrics, adult care, gynecological care including a mammogram machine, dentist, and pharmacy I was pleasantly surprised.
Within the first 2 clinical days I had already gotten the awesome experience of doing PAP smears with some of the Panamanian women! We started by taking their blood pressures and weights and the nurse asked them many health history questions. The exam is more or less the same as it is her in the states, or at least the technique of it. I was so excited to get to perform it on my own. Our University of Panama professor was with us and assisted us with every one of them but she allowed us to take the examiner's seat. Even performing the breast exams was amazing to me; even with the language barrier I felt I could understand almost everything that she was saying and was just soaking it all in! It was better than I could have ever imagined! those few cases that I did in Panama made the trip worth it! :D I am so glad that we practiced in the lab and I am so happy with my choice to go down!
The women in the clinic were great and I could not have been more blessed to have been doing our clinicals at Monagrillo! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment