Monday, June 14, 2010

Clinicals







Clinicals at my clinic site is interesting. They have different methods that they use that we have to get use to; for example how they clean the injection site with water instead of alcohol. It seemed like we would not have any opportunities to do anything at first but as our instructor became comfortable she allowed us give vaccines, pap smears, observe development testing, etc. At times the area where we would give the vaccines became so crowded making it difficult to maneuver and safety becomes a problem.
I enjoyed going to the schools and giving vaccinations the most because we were able to interact with children and it felt good knowing we were do something directly for the community. We gave immunizations and the girls had the option of receiving Gardasil if they had their parents consent. All the kids were cooperative for the most part, but they were scared at first. Once they became comfortable with us they talked with us. They were so fascinated with us, it was so cute. The other student in the clinical site were very friendly and tried their best to be helpful. I am so grateful for Caroline being there for us and translating throughout clincals (even though sometimes you did know how to say certain words...I'm kidding lol ;-). <3 ya and it was very much appreciated). In the clinic, I personally favored the childrens vaccine room. They would get their vaccines and cry and their was a beach ball tied to the ceiling that I would reach up and spin and it distracted them so they would laugh or stop crying. I also think that was the busiest room in the clinic because mothers would bring in their babies early in the morning and stay really to make sure that their child was vaccinated.

Seminar gave us the opportunity to teach our fellow class mates and reflect on the material. Once the information was presented we would have a discussion and for the most part I would learn even more from the discussion because it was all tied into the material.

I know we didn't get the same opportunities as some of the other student in the other clinical sites but I feel I got a better understanding of the Panamanian culture as a whole especially when we worked on the surveys for the women's research group. They were open to doing the surveys and had positive views on pap smears which I think is wonderful. The women are comfortable with allowing students to be in the rooms during procedures such as the pap smears which I think would be a problem with most women in the US.








No comments:

Post a Comment