Monday, June 14, 2010

Panama (The clincal side)

I figured since I have talked about the cultural experience I defiantly need to talk about the clinical experience because that is why we are here!

My clinic was called the Centro de Salud Chitre. It was a clinic that was mainly for the uninsured but of course the insured were welcome as well. In the clinic you could get almost anything done. There was two dentists, one for kids and one for adults. There was an adult immunizations, a general doctor, pediatric doctor, gynecology, pharmacy, development and growth of children and children vaccinations. I got to spend a day in each of these minus the dentists and the general doctors. The clinic is really prevention based and no one that was there was sick it was more to get check ups and to continue with good health. Every day was about the same, We had to be there at 730am until 12pm which then we would get lunch and then go back to the school for seminars. There was 6 of us at the clinic with me and then there would also be Panamanian students about 4 to 6 of them, so sometimes it got really crowded.

I think that my favorite part was the kids vaccination room. I thought that I would really like pap smears, and I did, but not nearly as much as the little kids. I thought that vaccinating babies was going to be hard because I had never done it before and there are some kids that just kick and scream! I happen to get quite lucky and I didn't have any toddlers, I got 9mo and younger so they wouldn't cry until you gave them the shot. what I thought was really funny is that the babies would cry and cry but then once you start to clap and say "yay" or show them a ball they had forgotten all about it. So luckily i got to spend a couple days in there. Vaccinations at the clinic are free for 0-18 years old and older then 70. Otherwise they are only about a dollar or two if they don't have insurance.

I also got to do some pap smears which was exciting just because that is not in the scope of my practice here in the states. So I thinks its neat to be able to brag about that in a way. I also learned alot about pap smears and women's health so i really enjoyed that as well. In Panama the paps are free and they are recommended every year or every 6 mo depending on your risk level. The main thing that they are screening for is HPV because that seems to be common. I think that its smart that this is a free resource because it really helps with prevention.

Also some other clinic but not mine have days where they go out in the community and give medication and vaccinations to the elderly, immobilized or really sick. That's something I wish that I got to experience. I did get to go to a middle school though and there we got to vaccinate 5th and 6th graders. We gave them their flu shots, tetanus, and gardisil to the girls. I had fun doing that even thought it was a long process, but it was a bilingual school so many of the kids spoke English and they loved the fact that they could speak to us.

Overall I had a lot of fun and even though it was crazy or really show sometimes that's what its all about, the experience. I feel that i truly learned a lot and in my opinion the US health care system could really learn a thing or to from Panama.

No comments:

Post a Comment